Choose a New York Medical Malpractice Lawyer With A Long History Of Success
Doctors, nurses and other medical professionals hold our lives in their hands. These professionals have a duty to provide an acceptable level of care for every patient.
When a doctor or other professional does not uphold established standards of care, this negligence can lead to immeasurable pain, irreparable injury and even death.
If you believe you or a loved one has experienced medical negligence, we can help. At Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C., in Manhattan, we have some of New York’s very best medical malpractice lawyers – and we’ve won some of the city’s most significant medical malpractice lawsuits.
Helping The Injured Since 1965
For more than 50 years, we have been helping our clients who are victims of medical malpractice receive the best possible compensation allowed by law, so they can go on with their lives. Our New York medical malpractice lawyers have won many million-dollar verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Why Choose Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C?
If you do quick search for the best medical malpractice lawyer near you, you’ll find hundreds of law firms who say they can help with your medical malpractice case. The trouble is, not all every personal injury law firm will have the experience you need to make sure you get the best possible outcome.
When you sue for medical malpractice, you’ll come up against a large insurance company that will fight hard to reduce your settlement or have your case thrown out altogether. You’re going to need a medical malpractice attorney who’s not afraid to take your case to trail. The very best way to ensure this is to work with a law firm with a proven track record of winning NYC medical malpractice cases in court. That’s us.
Of course, this doesn’t mean your case will necessarily go to trail – but we’ll handle every case as if it will. If you want an insurance company and healthcare provider to believe you’re serious, you need to put together a case that will stand up to tough scrutiny in court.
At Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C. we’ll put together a case that we’re confident will win. This often means insurers will meet our settlement agreements – but if they don’t, you can expect us to fight with expertise and aggression should we need to take your case all the way.
Some Types Of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice can involve many different types of negligence, including:
- Birth injuries: Injuries during birth can occur due to a wide range of issues, such as the baby not being properly monitored before birth, waiting too long to perform a C-section, lack of oxygen to the baby during labor and many other causes.
- Failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis: When a disease or illness is misdiagnosed or a doctor fails to diagnose the condition, the patient may be deprived of proper care that literally can be the difference between life and death. If such malpractice has deprived you or a loved one or a meaningful opportunity for a better outcome, you may be entitled to significant money damages.
- Emergency room errors: Medical professionals working in an ER setting experience untold pressure. As such, more leeway is given when mistakes are made – but this doesn’t mean you should suffer. We’ll fight hard to prove no amount of pressure should stand in the way of fair compensation for you.
- Medication errors: A mistake involving a prescription medication can occur at any point in the medication chain, from the doctor’s prescribing the medicine to the patient taking the medicine.
- Medical record errors: Sometimes, serious medical errors occur simply because simple paperwork errors are not spotted. Our attorneys and medical experts will analyze all your paperwork and explore how errors can lead to life-changing mistakes.
- Surgical errors: Any mistake made during surgery, including the physician leaving medical instruments in the body, can cause a patient serious injury or death.
- Equipment errors: A hospital relies on huge amounts of technology to make sure your diagnosis and treatment is correct. If an error with equipment is made, your treatment can unfold in a completely different, and sometimes incorrect, direction.
These are only a few of the many possible medical errors.
Overcoming Challenges In A Medical Malpractice Claim
Medical malpractice claims involve many unique factors. For instance, in order to make a strong case, your attorney must work closely with recognized experts in medicine and other fields. Your personal injury lawyer must be able to fully understand complex information and then present this information in a way that resonates with members of a jury.
Our lawyers understand these and other challenges and will take a proactive approach in order to give you the best chance of getting the financial recovery you need after a serious injury.
Some Of Our Results In Medical Malpractice Claims
$4 million settlement for a 47-year-old woman who underwent significant, but uneventful, abdominal surgery; she then suffered stroke with hemiparesis when hospital incorrectly placed triple-lumen catheter in her carotid artery rather than her jugular vein.
$3 million settlement for a 48-year-old man who underwent routine blood tests that showed moderately elevated PSA levels, an early sign of prostate cancer. However, his physician failed to inform him and did nothing for 1 1/2 years until the PSA levels had doubled and the prostate cancer had spread, thereby reducing his opportunity for a favorable outcome and requiring him to undergo radical prostatectomy, radiation and chemotherapy.
$3 million settlement during trial for a 73-year-old patient who was undergoing routine bypass surgery but was given a blood transfusion with the wrong blood type, and suffered renal failure and below-knee leg amputation.
What kinds of damages do our NYC medical malpractice attorneys typically fight for?
Every medical malpractice lawsuit is a little different – even if the injury or medical error looks similar on the surface.
The differences occur because of how your life is impacted after medical malpractice occurs. For some people, time away from work will be main concern – but other people could face life-long complications.
As such, we’ll approach every case individually. We’ll explore any economic and non-economic damages you could be facing – or may face in the future.
The negligent actions of healthcare providers will often impact your finances. These kinds of damages are referred to as ‘economic damages’ and may include:
- Medical expenses
- Costs of future medical expenses, including support or rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Potential missed future opportunities
- In wrongful death cases, funeral and burial expenses
When a medical error occurs, many of the damages you experience will go beyond how your finances are impacted. We refer to these as ‘non-economic damages’. Even though these kinds of damages don’t impact your bank balance, you may be entitled to financial compensation to make up for the impact they’ve had on your life.
Typically, these kinds of damages may include:
- The injury or condition that’s resulted from the malpractice
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and/or disfigurement
- The possible loss of companionship
- On-going physical impairment
- The loss of the enjoyment of life
Wrongful death cases
Sadly, our New York medical malpractice attorneys often provide legal representation when the negligence of a medical professional has led to a loved one’s death.
Dealing with a death as a result of medical malpractice is a little different to dealing with an accident that has led to someone passing away. When medical malpractice is involved, a person’s passing may be much further down the line, especially when a misdiagnosis has taken place, or a mistake has led to a life-long condition.
If you feel like a medical error has contributed to the death of a loved one, we urge you speak to us. Our experience means we can carefully connect the dots, no matter how much any medical professional might tell you they’re not to blame.
We understand completely that we’re never going to be able to fill the gap that a loved one leaves behind – but we’ll fight hard on your behalf to make sure you’re not left struggling financially. A wrongful death medical malpractice claim can be a lot of work – we’ll shoulder that burden to give you the time and space you need to grieve.
We Work With The Best Medical Experts In New York
The field of medicine is infinitely complex and continually changing. We have a huge amount of experience with the legal side of medical malpractice cases – but we work hand-in-hand with expert medical professionals to make sure the medical knowledge we build you case around is second-to-none.
Our many years providing outstanding legal representation in medical malpractice claims means our network of medical professionals is unmatched. Often, the evidence that medical professionals offer in a case is the thing that tips the decision in your favor – so wherever you decide to seek legal support from, it will pay to make sure they have the best medical minds on their side.
What does a New York Medical Malpractice Lawyer Do For You?
Putting together a medical malpractice lawsuit is a complex process – but it’s one we’ve done thousands of times. When working for you, a personal injury attorney will:
- Carry out an investigation into what’s caused your injury or illness
- Locate all of your medical records – including any notes
- Work with medical experts to understand what kind of mistake has taken place and give testimony
- Make sure every procedural requirement of NYC law is met
- Look into financial compensation with financial and medical experts – to make sure all damages are accounted for
- Be a point of communication for insurers who might look to directly pressure you into taking more than you deserve
- Represent you at a trail should the insurance provider not settle satisfactorily before
How Much Does it Cost to Pursue a Medical Malpractice Case?
You might be under the impression that finding an excellent New York medical malpractice lawyer will mean lots of upfront fees and on-going hourly bills. That’s not how we do things here at Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C.
Instead, we work on a ‘contingency’ basis. This means that we charge an agreed-upon percentage of any financial compensation you win. For you, this means two important things.
Firstly, you don’t have to worry about finding money upfront. If you come to a free consultation and decide we’re the team you want on your side, we’ll start work soon after.
Secondly, working on this ‘no win, no fee’ contingency basis means our law firm only gets paid if we reach a settlement or win your case. Our business relies on us working tirelessly to do what’s best for you. If you want to be certain that you’re working with a firm that’s going to fight with every ounce of grit and determination we’ve got – you should look no further.
What Does A Free Consultation with a New York Medical Malpractice Lawyer Involve?
The first step of any medical malpractice lawsuit involves sitting down with an attorney and talking about what’s happened to you or your loved one.
We understand that this can feel quite intimidating. Often, people tell us they just want to move on from their experience. This is why we operate with care and compassion at the heart of everything we do.
When you meet with one of our attorneys to talk about your medical malpractice case, we always start by listening. No difficult questions from us – and certainly no legal jargon. We’ll let you talk for as long as you need – it’s important that we understand the impact medical negligence has had on your life.
We’ll ask you a few questions and we’ll move at your pace. We might be aggressive and determined when we’re fighting for you – but we’re real people who are always warm and friendly when we’re talking to our clients.
Victim Of Medical Malpractice? Talk To Us.
Call us locally at , call us toll free at or complete our contact form to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our New York medical malpractice attorneys. We handle all medical malpractice cases on a no-recovery, no-fee basis.